Added to List 10051:
- Fractional Sizes (10 edp's)
- Large diameters from 9/16" through 1"
Added to List 11051:
- Metric Sizes (12 edp's)
- Large Diameters from M14 through M24
NEW EDPs Have been added to the following List #'s:
- List 16500- (5 edp's)
- List 16505- (3 edp's)
- List 16510- (5 edp's)
- List 16515- (1 edp)
- List 16525- (4 edp's)
- List 16535- (4 edp's)
PHOENIX® PSE Inserts
- Corner radius sizes and more polished inserts for precision finishing operations in aluminum.
- Corner radius sizes for greater variety for shoulder milling & profiling operations.
- XC3020 & XP3025 as additional options for steel & cast iron operations.
- XC3020 & XP3025 to PHC09 & PHC12 offerings as additional options for steel & cast iron operations.
- CK010 grade to cover aluminum applications.
- GM chipbreaker to cover medium cutting operations in all materials.
- Additional corner radius sizes to have more variety for shoulder milling operations.
PHOENIX® PRC Inserts
- GL chipbreaker to cover light cutting operations in steel & stainless.
PHOENIX® PAO Inserts
- GL chipbreaker to cover light cutting operations in all materials.
4. December 2017
Product News , Drilling
Machining a flat hole traditionally required the use of an end mill and a drill. The EXOCARB® ADF drill enables one-step drilling to simplify machining time and tool management. Suitable for a wide variety of drilling applications including inclined surfaces, curved surfaces, counterboring, eccentric holes, thin plates, etc.
ADF Features and Benefits
- EgiAs Coating to suppress friction with the wear resistance layer and prevents breakage
- Unique End Cut Geometry reduces cutting force to enable stable machining
- Wide Chip Room for smooth chip evacuation
The EXOCARB® ADF drills are high performance carbide flat drills designed for various applications including:
- Carbon Steels
- Alloy Steels
- Die Steels
- Cast Iron
- Hardened Steels <35 HRC
- Hardened Steels 35-45 HRC
A Brand is OSG’s premium tooling brand that represents the quality assurance OSG guarantees to each and every customer. A Brand products (A-Drills, A-Taps and A-End Mills) are designed to exceed the evolving manufacturing needs of our customers. The A-Drill series features EXOCARB® AD, ADO, ADO-SUS and ADF. Experience the level of quality, reliability and satisfaction that can only be delivered by OSG’s A Brand tooling master class!
EXOCARB® AD & ADO 2D-30D
The EXOCARB® AD & ADO feature superior point strength with low cutting force are achieved to accommodate a wide range of carbide drilling applications. EgiAs coating constructed with extreme toughness, high wear and heat resistance characteristics ensure stable and consistent tool life. The EXOCARB® ADO offers a coolant-through option for those with coolant capabilities.
AD & ADO Features
- EgiAs Coating for exceptional wear resistance and toughness
- Coolant-Through (ADO) for longer tool life and smooth chip evaluation
- Optimized Drill Geometry For Every Drilling Depth
- Wavy Point Form (2D-8D) reduces thrust and torque while creating smaller more manageable chips
- Straight Point Form (10D-30D) enhances cutting edge strength while reducing cutting forces
- Wide Flutes (2D-8D) facilitates stable chip evacuation
- Middle Margin (8D-30D) improves stability in deep-hole applications
EXOCARB® ADO-SUS 3D & 5D
Work hardening, welding, elongation of cutting chips and poor thermal conductivity are common problems in the machining of stainless steels and titanium alloys. The ADO-SUS is a carbide drill series that employs a unique coolant hole shape and tool geometry to enable efficient drilling in these difficult-to-machine materials.
- Patented "MEGA COOLER" Coolant Holes drastically increase coolant flow, suppressing heat generation and enhancing chip evacuation
- Patented Flute Geometry forms ideal chips for efficient chip evacuation
- Patented Cutting-Edge Geometry reduces work hardening
- WXL Coating provides superior heat and wear resistance for long tool life
EXOCARB® ADF 2D
Machining a flat hole traditionally required the use of an end mill and a drill. The EXOCARB® ADF enables one-step drilling to simplify machining time and tool management. Suitable for a wide variety of drilling applications including inclined surfaces, curved surfaces, counterboring, eccentric holes, thin plates, etc.
- EgiAs Coating for exceptional wear resistance and long tool life
- Wide Flutes for superior chip evacuation
- Balanced Point Form for reduced thrust and improved stability
- Improved Cutting Edge reduces cutting forces and creates smaller chips
Watch our A Brand video on YouTube!
7. June 2017
We are pleased to announce the release of OSG EXOTAP® VC-10 & VA-3 Coolant-Through DIN length Taps for Difficult to Machine Materials and Stainless Steel.
The following list numbers are associated with the EXOTAP® VC-10 & VA-3 products.
- List 317TI - EXOTAP® VC-10 Ti Oil DIN SFT Inch sizes
- List 348TI - EXOTAP® VC-10 Ti Oil DIN SFT Metric sizes
- List 317 - EXOTAP® VC-10 Oil DIN SFT Inch sizes
- List 351- EXOTAP® VC-10 Oil DIN SFT Metric sizes
- List 307- EXOTAP® VC-3 Oil DIN SFT Inch sizes
- List 347 - EXOTAP® VA-3 Oil DIN SFT Metric sizes
- List 316TI - EXOTAP® VC-10 Ti Oil DIN POT Inch sizes
- List 347TI - EXOTAP® VC-10 Ti Oil DIN POT Metric sizes
- List 316 - EXOTAP® VC-10 Oil DIN POT Inch sizes
- List 350 - EXOTAP® VC-10 Oil DIN POT Metric sizes
- List 306 - EXOTAP® VC-3 Oil DIN POT Inch sizes
- List 346 - EXOTAP® VA-3 Oil DIN SFT Metric sizes
This series offers the following:
- V Coating for increased harness, lubricity & wear resistance
- Expanded the VC-10 series offering to include both coolant-through and DIN
overall length options
- The VC-10 series has unique geometries to excel in titanium or other difficult to
machine materials as does VA-3 which excels in Stainless Steel.
- The VA-3 features HSSE Substrate for increased wear resistance.
OSG PHOENIX® PFR Finishing Radius End Mill series:
The following list numbers are associated with the PHOENIX® PFR products:
List 52200 -- PHOENIX PFR inch end mill bodies
List 78320 -- PHOENIX PFR metric end mill bodies
List 52605 -- PHOENIX PFR inch screw fit bodies
List 78220 -- PHOENIX PFR metric screw fit bodies
List 78PFR -- PHOENIX PFR inserts
- Added Ø0.250" end mill bodies and inserts
- Added Ø6mm end mill bodies and inserts
- Added 2.5 L/D Ratio steel shank end mill bodies
OSG PHOENIX® PXMC Collets for the PHOENIX® PXM Exchangeable Head End Mill series:
The following list numbers are associated with the PHOENIX® PXMC products.
List 78340 -- PHOENIX PXMC collets
- PXMC collets are available in short and extra-short versions
- PXMC collets are compatible with OSG's HY-PRO Shrink 2pc Base Holders
- PXMC collets dramatically reduce overhang length to greatly improve milling rigidity & balance
- PXMC collets are ideal for use in small machining centers
Please visit our website for product information, pricing and availability.
1. September 2016
Product News , Drilling
We announced the release of our new EXOCARB® ADF drills. The ADF combines two operations in one for the drilling of inclined surfaces and counterboring applications.
The ADF was developed with an “all-purpose” concept for superior versatility, reliability and quality for flat-bottom holes. Machining a flat hole traditionally required the use of an end mill and a drill. The ADF enables one-step drilling thereby simplifying machining time and tool management. The drill’s balanced point form improves precision and minimizes the shifting of hole position. Its sharp cutting edge results in low cutting force to minimize burrs even in thin plates. With a wide chip room geometry, trouble-free chip evacuation can be achieved. Furthermore, with the addition of OSG’s new proprietary EgiAs coating, tool life can be prolonged with excellent heat and wear resistance.
The ADF is engineered for a wide variety of drilling applications including inclined surfaces, curved surfaces, counterboring, eccentric holes, thin plates, etc. It is suitable for common materials such as carbon steel, alloy steel, hardened steel (up to 35 HRC) and cast iron. Standard types are available in diameters from 2 to 20 mm; long types are available in diameters from 3 to 20 mm).
By Dustin Loschiavo, District Manager
Did you know there are twice as many people wearing braces today than there were 15 years ago? The need for the new and improved orthodontic products has grown rapidly. I recently visited American Orthodontics in Sheboygan, WI, one of the largest Orthodontics manufacturers in the world. They have just introduced the PowerScope, a wire to wire device that eliminates the need for headgear and special bands with more comfort and a better aesthetic appearance.
I spoke with Lee Vogel, Manufacturing Engineer at American Orthodontics, who expressed that they were having a problem with tool life on the right and left side tower mounts. They had recently changed materials per the customer’s request from a 316 stainless steel to a 17-4 stainless steel to extend the life of the device. The machining process involved milling a flat on two sides of round stock using a Citizen bar-feeder lathe. They were using a competitor’s 1/8 – 1/8 – 1/4, 1 ½ 4 fluted end mill. This end mill was taking 10 passes per side running at 4500 RPM and a feed rate of 8 IPM. I suggested that Lee should take less passes and test OSG’s Aero UVX end mill (3/16 – 7/16 - 0.015 CR 4 flute) for his new material application. We set up at 4 passes per side running at 5000 rpm and a feed rate of 16 IPM. This change alone saved 11 seconds per part and the tool life went from 1600 pieces to 6000 pieces per end mill.
As the number of people with braces is expected to increase more in the near future, manufacturers need to keep up with the trends and demands for the improved braces by coming up with new innovations. In order to do so, it is crucial to be flexible and ready to machine any new materials with efficiency. OSG’s Aero UVX end mills changed the game of machining 17-4 stainless steels with efficiency and extended tool life.
*This article originally appeared in the OSG Cutting News Magazine 2015 Medical Edition.
David Whitmire, OSG district manager, has been covering a sales territory in Texas
and Oklahoma for 9 years. He has witnessed both the best and worst days of the energy
industry. Since the price of oil per barrel has recently reached record lows,
our economy and oil field manufacturers have been severely affected. An
increasing number of layoffs and downsizing at companies has occurred in the
area. During this down time, some oil field manufacturers started to do their
homework by reconsidering their machining processes as an avenue to cut costs.
This has opened up some new opportunities for OSG in David’s territory.
One of David’s customers is
a large pump housing manufacturer in the oil field industry. During the
industry slowdown, the company wanted to be proactive, so they invited OSG and
a local distributor to host a tap trouble shooting seminar. During the seminar,
David showed them the OSG EXOTAP® A-Tap® and EXOPRO® Mega Muscle® drill videos.
These videos drew a lot of attention as they showed A-Tap® and Mega Muscle® products
surpassing speeds and feeds of competitors’ tools. This company produces 50 to
60 parts after spending over 625 hours machining per month. David decided to
perform tool testing with his local distributor to help the company improve
productivity and cut costs.
Material: 4140 Modified
1. ¾-10 EXOTAP® A-Tap® (18 SFM) vs. Competitor A’s tap (18
2. 1 ¼-7
HY-PRO® VXL Tap (30
SFM and 13.1486 IPM) vs. Competitor A’s tap (23 SFM and 11.0 IPM)
½-6 HY-PRO® VXL Tap (30
SFM and 12.5 IPM)
vs. Competitor A’s tap (23 SFM and 10.0 IPM)
4. ½-13 EXOTAP® A-Tap® 50 SFM and 29.3758 IPM vs. Competitor
A’s tap (13 SFM and 7.692 IPM)
5. 7/16” EXOPRO® Mega Muscle® Drill (325 SFM and 48.2
IPM) vs. Competitor B’s Cam Drill (8.2 IPM)
6. 7/15” EXOCARB® WDO® Drill (325 SFM and 28.4 IPM) vs.
Competitor B’s Cam Drill (2.5 IPM)
7. 22mm PHOENIX® PXD Exchangeable Head Drill 300 (SFM
and 21.2 IPM) vs. Competitor B’s Cam Drill (2.8 IPM)
Test 1 demonstrated a significant advantage of the
A-Tap®. Even if it ran at the same speeds and feeds with the competitor’s tap, the
A-Tap® was able to produce 25% to 40% more pump housings and to reduce costs by
$22 per tool versus the competitor’s tap.
Tests 2, 3, 4 and 5 showed that OSG’s taps and
drills ran at faster speeds than the competitors’ tools, and the A-Tap®, VXL
Tap and Mega Muscle® products were able to reduce the cycle time by 23 minutes.
In addition, the A-Tap® and Mega Muscle® machined 5 times more parts than the
competitors’ tools did.
Tests 6 and 7 have not been completed, but David is
confident that the WDO® drills and PXD drills will reduce the cycle times even
more. By using OSG’s taps and drills in their operation, David predicts that
the company will be able to reduce at least 21 hours of machining time per month!
15. September 2015
Product News , Indexable
Are you struggling with unstable machining with your
indexable tools? Higher cutting force is one of the main causes of vibration
and instability. You want to achieve lower cutting force to prevent vibration,
but you are also looking for ways to improve productivity. OSG’s PHOENIX® PSE (90°
indexable shoulder cutter) and PHC (indexable high feed cutter) offer solutions that
not only provide lower cutting forces and better productivity, but also enhanced
rigidity and improved quality of your finished parts.
Many conventional shoulder mills have difficulty with
ramping and helical milling operations due to their design. OSG's PHOENIX® PSE enables productive ramping
and helical milling
with the insert's bottom
notch feature. The PSE's cutting geometry also generates lower cutting forces,
and the insert's wiper edge produces superior
surface finish. PSE is a multi-purpose cutter that can
tackle a wide range of applications including facing, side milling, slotting,
ramping and helical milling! Watch PSE in action!
If you have specific needs for a rough milling application
and achieving high metal removal rates, our PHC is the go-to tool for
you. A combination of sharp
cutting edge and high feed cutting edge design makes it possible to
achieve productivity and low cutting force even with overhangs!
PHC’s economical 4-corner insert with a chip breaker enhances cutting
performance while maintaining rigidity. Watch PHC in action!
a limited time only, you can save on our high performance indexable milling
cutters. Take advantage of our amazing deals to achieve stable milling! Click HERE
to learn more about the deals!
are the common issues you encounter while machining stainless steels and
titanium alloys? You name it and OSG’s new EXOCARB® WDO-SUS drills will tackle it!
The WDO-SUS drills are specifically developed to combat work
hardening, elongated chips, low thermal conductivity and welding on the tool.
Watch the video below to learn more about the premium features of the WDO-SUS
drills including the newly designed MEGA COOLER™ coolant holes.